Share this post:
Webinar: Accelerate digital transformation by modernizing apps for the cloud
The time has come. Just kidding, it’s been here awhile. Business pressures demand faster time to market and higher-quality applications. Containers, Kubernetes, and microservices are proven to deliver speed and simplicity and are being adopted rapidly. But your existing estate will determine your modernization strategy, which is why we did a deep dive into the benefits of each approach.
Modernization: Immediate benefits
Accelerate digital transformation—this wave is driven by the need to build new capabilities and deliver them quickly. In a recent survey, 79% of dev leaders claim a significant reduction in downtime and associated costs.
- Improve developer productivity: Enabling self-service for developers through the adoption of cloud-native and containerization has led to faster roll-out of application enhancements and new features.
- Improve operational efficiency and standardization: DevOps enablement drives a culture of automation and transformation of operations, resulting in improved app performance and better security of both company and customer data.
Modernization approach: Estate sale?
Rewriting your entire estate is a pipe dream, which is why modernization comes in many flavors. You’ll need a partner with deep skills and experience in middleware, providing unique insights and approaches to modernize your existing estate quickly and with reduced risk. View your development investments as an asset, not a liability.
Modernization journey: Choose your path
To get started, you need to understand the approaches that are right for your inventory. There will be a different entry point for each step in your journey in order to deliver value—it wouldn’t make sense to start from the same place for on-premise and cloud workloads. As mentioned earlier, you don’t have to do this alone.
Overchoice: the modernization approach
Every day, we’re faced with dozens of choices to make and too many options to make them. When it comes to modernization, the key is this—you should choose the approach that best fits your business needs. No buyers’ remorse necessary;
- Containerize the monolith: Reduce costs and simplify operations.
- Expose on-prem assets with APIs: Enable legacy assets that are difficult to cloud-enable.
- Refactor into microservices: Break down monoliths into deployable components.
- Add new microservices: Innovate incrementally and establish success early.
- Strangle the monolith: Sunset the monolith step-by-step.
For a more comprehensive view into the modernization approaches, check out the app modernization webinar.
via IBM Cloud Blog https://ibm.co/2pQcNaA
November 12, 2018 at 01:18PM