Introducing the new IBM Cloud content delivery network
Share this post:
We’re pleased to announce that our new IBM Cloud content delivery network (CDN) service is now generally available. This service provides best-of-breed CDN providers to enable fast access and low latency of requested content for any given region around the globe.
In our new release, we’ve partnered with Akamai to create one of the world’s fastest and most reliable content delivery networks. Now that Akamai is integrated into IBM Cloud, you can take advantage of superior web and mobile performance and video delivery solutions—underpinned by exceptional customer service and 24/7 monitoring. Our partnership with Akamai helps customers support and maximize their business outcomes every step of the way.
Why IBM Cloud CDN?
To understand the value of CDN, it’s important to understand how a CDN service works. A CDN is a highly-distributed platform of servers that’s optimized to deliver content, including web applications and streaming media, to provide an improved customer experience. This network of servers is dispersed across numerous physical and network locations and responds directly to end user requests for web content and fast, secure media delivery. It acts as an intermediary between a content server, also known as the origin, and its end users or clients.
The new IBM Cloud CDN allows content providers to distribute content around the world. By storing this content at the network edge, we can provide rapid access to end-users—at global scale. As an added benefit, our service is easy to configure and deploy—you can get started using the service in a matter of clicks. (Have a look at the supporting documentation with details on getting started with the new CDN service.)
IBM Cloud CDN offers a variety of use cases to clients across multiple industries, such as:
- Ecommerce: Helps ecommerce sites deliver content quickly and efficiently even during times of heavy traffic
- Government: Large, content-heavy websites can deliver vital information to citizens much more quickly and efficiently
- Finance: Provide banking institutions with a fast, secure, and reliable infrastructure to deliver sensitive data to consumers and analysts
- Media and publishing: Media websites need to deliver timely and up-to-date information, to update content in real time, and remove data as it becomes outdated.
- Mobile apps: Deliver dynamic location-based content for mobile apps, reducing load times and increasing responsiveness
- Technology and SaaS: Help technology websites serve billions of requests a day to web users without decreasing performance
Powered by Akamai
Our initial release of IBM Cloud CDN with Akamai provides features that streamline and accelerate your content delivery, including general web delivery, content caching, content purge, the ability to view historical metrics for up to 90 days, HTTPS support with wildcard certificates, access control, and more.
For customers already using the existing Verizon Digital Media Services Edgecast CDN, this service will continue to be available but the access path will be different. It will now be located under Network CDN, rather than Storage CDN.
Take the next step in keeping your data closer to your users, and experience efficient delivery, flexible demand and usage, and protection from security threats with the new IBM Cloud Content Delivery Network. Learn more about this new service by checking out IBM Cloud CDN site.
via Bluemix Blog https://ibm.co/2pQcNaA
October 10, 2017 at 10:27AM